Media Advisory For: Thursday, May 3rd, 2018
Contact: Linda Benesch, [email protected]
Activists to Hold Rally to Protest Planned Closure of Arlington Social Security Office
Arlington, VA – Thursday, May 3rd at 12pm at 1401 Wilson Blvd, activists, including advocates and retirees, will hold a rally opposing the planned closure of Arlington’s only Social Security office. The rally will be livestreamed to the Social Security Works Facebook page.
The office is currently scheduled to be closed in June. The next closest field office is in south Alexandria, already serves a large population, and is not easily accessible by public transportation.
Since 2011, baby boomers have been retiring at the rate of 10,000 a day, expanding the population that the Social Security Administration (SSA) serves. In recent years, the agency has closed 64 field offices due to budget constraints. These office closures make it increasingly difficult for Americans to access their earned benefits.
With SSA having finally secured a funding increase in the recent congressional spending bill, the agency should be opening new offices, not closing them. Polling shows that 84 percent of Americans oppose office closures.
- J. David Cox, President, AFGE National
- Julian Blair, grassroots leader, veteran, and Social Security beneficiary
- Witold Skwierczynski, President, AFGE Council 220
- Dan Doyle, Vice President District 4, AFGE National
- Nancy Altman, President, Social Security Works
- Marguerite O’Connor, Virginia Vice President, Alliance for Retired Americans
- Max Richtman, President, National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
- Christian Dorsey, Arlington County Board member
- Kevin Saucedo-Broach, Legislative Assistant, Delegate Alfonso Lopez, reading statement from a letter sent to SSA from Delegates Lopez, Janet Howell, Mark Levine and Senator Adam Ebbin
What: Activists, including advocates and retirees, will hold a rally opposing the planned closure of Arlington’s only Social Security office.
Where: 1401 Wilson Blvd Arlington VA 22209 (Rosslyn Metro Station)
When: Thursday, May 3rd at 12:00pm